Following articles were written and contributed by Pete Bottomley.
Pete is a co-founder of White Paper Games.
UDK: How to Spawn Bots in Kismet - Part 1/3
Spawning a Bot in Kismet will cover how to spawn a Bot and allow him to navigate around the level. He will also be able to detect where the player is and then shoot at him if he is in view.
In this basic Bot video you'll learn:
- Spawning a Bot in Kismet
- Set up the properties of the Bot
- Use traces and firing actions to detect and shoot the player
- Use move actions to navigate the level
UDK: How to Add Functinality to Bots - Part 2/3
Once we have our initial Bot set up we can add more functionality to him. We will keep replenishing his health if the player hits the Bot until the player picks up a rocket launcher and kills the Bot with a direct hit. We will also make it so that the Bot cannot pick up the rocket launcher and if he does, take it away from him and replace it with the default weapon.
In this added Bot functionality video you’ll learn:
- Check if the Bot is alive
- Get the Bot health
- Subtract the health property from the Bots overall health
- Heal the Bot in a looping sequence
- Take the Rocket Launcher away from the Bot if he tries to pick it up
- Add a Rocket Launcher to the scene.
UDK: Spawning Bots Final Touches - Part 3/3
In the final part to the AI setup we will do a bit of house-keeping to keep things organised and give the player some more direction about what to do in this situation.
In this AI video you'll learn:
- How to attach actions to events
- Display Bots name
- Change difficulty of Bot
- Use logs to display additional information