Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 10-Year-Old Challenge - Moutrave

Post Thanks / Like

10-Year-Old Challenge - Moutrave

Hey,

So after thinking about what I was gonna do...I finally started to "model" one of the modules with Maya.

I'm not showing anything just yet...as it really sucks !

I'm very new at modeling and this would be my very first attempt at creating a scene with my own assets...scary !! I'm especially struggling with UV's so far...

I'll try to make something worth showing tomorrow...

The idea of the scene is, very roughly : 3 passageways leading to 3 towers. 2 side towers and one in the middle, that is bigger and whose top is a big fight arena in the form of a circle (final boss fight). Fighters can chose any of the 3 towers to begin their "fighting journey", but it has to end on the middle tower. each of the 2 side towers are linked to the central one, via sky passageways on different floors. The challenge is different in each tower (various types of specific monsters with special abilities etc, RPG style), but equally difficult.

But of course there won't be a gameplay (yet !) so let's change the subject.

If I do it right, it should look ok. The whole thing will of course be set underwater, with other buildings surrounding the towers in the background. I hope to create a lot of modular assets to create different buildings in little time...again, that'll be a first try, I hope I can make it !
    Last edited by AlexG; 10-04-2011 at 12:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Sounds fun : )

Post Thanks / Like
    Underwater scene Love those .Sounds like a great idea Moutrave,Good luck with your modeling Im sure they will all turn out fine.
    Bring on the images soon .
    Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey,

Spent about 9 hours today starting the thing...modules are very simple, no textures yet, only a little screen of the maya objects and the Unreal scene. I'm made a water distortion post process material that I've applied to my world properties, but I guess it doesn't show on a still picture ! With movement it renders fine though. Bad thing is : the editor crashes when I try to rebuild the lights. If I remove all of my meshes, it doesn't crash but the light build fails. If I place my meshes in an empty map, the lights build ok with no crash...Maybe it's caused by the foliage I've added, and its interaction with my meshes...no idea, but I'll investigate that. In the meantime if anyone has any idea, please share !

So here are the shots. I don't think i'll go a lot further on the modeling part. Of course there will be somedetailing, but I don't know if i'll have the time (and the skill, obviously !) to do something very detailed and good looking.

That's it, see you next time !

Post Thanks / Like
    I modeled a first iteration of a module that I'd like to use to make the side towers (obviously the ones in the previous screenshots were temporary, they can and will be used for the background city though). I took some inspiration from this type of modular architecture

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=467062

Love the idea. Anyway, under Maya and of course, untextured, here it is :

Tomorrow I'll put that in Unreal, start on the background city, which should be easy. I don't know what I'm gonna do about the central tower though. I'll see.

Then this week end I will work on the hardest part...the textures and shaders !

Post Thanks / Like
    That modular concept is really interesting!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for replying

I feel like I'm the only one trying at this challenge. I still wonder if it is still up

Although I would finish it even if it wasn't

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Alex has an announcement coming on this so I'm waiting. In the mean time, I'm consuming ZBrush tutorials and reading a ZBrush book to get ready. Just got my license a few weeks back and it's awesome fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for replying

I feel like I'm the only one trying at this challenge. I still wonder if it is still up

Although I would finish it even if it wasn't

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow double post. Thank to my awfully slow work computer !

WarrenM : good luck on Zbrush ! Nice to write a book about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading a book, not writing one. Nobody wants to hear what I have to say about ZBrush. It would be a very short book. :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha when in the meantime, I have to learn how to read!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, Alex has some plans for the challenge. I'm pretty excited! So it IS still going, but there will be some minor changes to it soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    So should I stop workin at all in the meantime so as to not temper with the time limit and so on? :d

I'm pretty curious about the challenge changes ! Let us know soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep going Mout..
    Warren learning the Z.Well done..Best progs around.